Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dawn Landes

In many ways, artists like Dawn Landes are the reason why I wanted to start this blog.  Spanning genres from French (á la Françoise Hardy) and American folk, to indie singer-songwriter driven rock, the diversity of her growing discography displays a talent that demands attention.


Her musical career took root in New York City, where she first moved to study at NYU, and later dropped out to start working in recording studios (working with the likes of Phillip Glass, among others).  In the meanwhile, she also began to write and record her own music.  Her first record came out in 2005 and she has been making them ever since.  

Dawn has just finished working on a record with Doveman (Thomas Bartlett) that will be coming out in early 2014.  Three preview tracks are available for streaming online here.

I recently sat down with Dawn before her show at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, where she was both opening for and singing with the Brooklyn-based folk band Hem.  Since she has been working with Bartlett, our conversation began by discussing the recent Kate McGarrigle tribute album that he has been part of.  We went on to discuss her role as a female music engineer, her views on creativity and technology, and what her top five "Girls on Your Turntable" playlist is.

Read full interview below.

Dawn Landes:  I was lucky enough to stay at the McGarrigle homestead with Thomas (Bartlett) for New Year's, the past two years we went up there.  And it's gorgeous; it's like a ski lodge out of town.  And it was cool because I got to meet Anna and she is so demure, and very shy and withdrawn, but also kind of sarcastic too, but in a sweet way.  It's very alarming.

Brandi Howell:  So like a Canadian form of sarcasm.

DL:   Exactly.  So I remember her basically saying that she never really liked performing.  Kate was the one who wanted to be out touring, but her whole life was spent performing and writing songs, like "Heart Like a Wheel."

BH:  I love how Martha and Rufus are such a mix of their parents' style.  You can see characteristics of both in their music and performances, yet both are so great in their own way.

DL:  Yeah, Martha is amazing.  I've seen Rufus play, but I've actually seen Martha play more than I've seen Rufus play.

BH:  Did you catch any of her Edith Piaf shows?

DL:  I was at the taping for the album.  Gorgeous.

BH:  She played here [at the Great American Music Hall].

DL:  She did!  (Sigh...)  Her channeling Piaf is amazing.  It's like watching it.  I opened for her in the UK and I had made an album in French where I covered a bunch of French songs, and lived in Paris for awhile.  It was great, because she hadn't done the Piaf project yet, but she was singing a song of hers in her show.  So, in my set I sang Francoise Hardy's song, which you might recognize her from that movie "Moonrise Kingdom", and she (Martha) sang a Piaf song!

BH:  One of the things I think is interesting is that there are so few female producers.  I think a lot of doors have opened for female musicians, especially in the rock/folk genre.  I don't think it's as limiting for [female] musicians, but you really don't have many female producers.  I know you studied production at NYU, but can you tell me more about how you started?

DL:  Yeah, I studied at NYU, and then I just started working in studios.  There are always women around, as in there are a lot of female studio managers and female studio accountants, but there aren't a lot of females doing the technical stuff, so I remember reading about Trina Shoemaker who is probably one of the best known female engineers.  She worked with Sheryl Crow, Lambchop, and Giant Sand, and has just done all kinds of stuff.  She worked with Daniel Lanois as his main assistant for years and she has gone on to have an amazing career.  I remember finding out about her.  She is beautiful, and I thought, "This person is so cool!" I wrote her a letter and she never responded, I don't even know if she got it, but...actually the other day I met a woman named Jaime Sickora, who is a badass.  She's the main engineer at what used to be A&M Studios.  It's now owned by Jim Henson, so it's like the Henson lot in L.A.  I went and got a tour with her and we just had a little moment where we were like, "It's so good to meet another female engineer".  It just doesn't happen that often.

BH:  Do you think you approach music differently when you are writing music or when you are behind the console?

DL:  Yeah, I definitely think so.  It's taken me a long while, I used to produce all of my own records and engineer them and mix them and everything, and I think knowing your strengths and your weaknesses.  I don't like to admit it, I don't like to say no to anything.  I like to think I can do anything, but when you are trying to create and edit at the same time, edit yourself, meaning even down to what mics you are using or what arrangements are going to be on this song, it's really difficult to be of two minds at the same time. 

If you think about it, I'm really inspired by a lot of this new wave of young talented women telling their stories on camera.  Like Lena Dunham, I think she is a genius,  and Miranda July.  They are the creative force behind it, and they are starring in it.  I haven't been on the set of any of their films, but when they are acting, they can't be holding the camera.  It's actually impossible, and I think that idea, I've had to learn to deal with that.  Like, okay...I can actually have someone else recording me, I can have someone else producing me, because I know what my vision is and it's okay to collaborate with people.  Especially when they are amazing.  So, it's not necessarily giving up control, it's just opening the possibilities of working with other people. 

BH:  I know you record on tape, but what are your thoughts are on new technology and the accessibility of recording?

DL:  Have you read the David Lynch book on creativity?  It's got a little fish on it ["Catching the Book Fish:  Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity"].  I like what he says about it, which is that people who are purists of the old school - if it's film or music or whatever - they are holding on to something and rightfully so, because the quality of it is so amazing, but what technology has done has made the creation of it so blown open that you can do anything.  And it might not look beautiful, but it might be a narrative thing that you could not have captured otherwise.  And I think that's the same with recording. I mean, I have tons of recordings of stuff on my iPhone and I haven't particularly used any of it.  Even before I had a phone, I had a miniDisc player and I would clip my little Sony microphone to my lapel and I would walk around and record random shit on the street.  And I love people like Tchad Blake, he is one of my favorite producers and engineers.  It's just the stuff that you hear in life that inspires the sounds that you are making. 

BH:  Do you feel inspired by New York?  Versus the Midwest and Louisville.

DL:   You know, I have thought about that so much.  It's that kind of thing where you are nostalgic for whatever you don't have at the time.  I don't know.  I was just telling my friend Hannah [Cohen] that I've realized this about myself:  If I'm in New York, I can't be there for longer than a month.  I have to leave, just even go out of town for the night.  Luckily I tour a lot, so I've been able to live there for long enough.  But I don't think I could have lived there for that long if I hadn't been able to experience other places and get out of there.  Because it is, it is so fast and so noisy.

BH:  I lived in Brooklyn for awhile after college and found you couldn't get out of the city as much as here [San Francisco], where you can walk across the bridge and be in the Marin Headlands. 

DL:  I've never lived out here, but I sort of fell in love with LA.  I was just there for three days and we just played there.  I love driving.  I grew up in a place where I had a car immediately when I was 16, and that's how I experienced music -- other than headphones, being able to drive and being able to listen to music all of the time.  I miss that a lot.  But luckily I get to tour, and when you are touring you are in a van with five or six other people, or eight other people, and you don't always agree [on what to listen to].

BH:  What do you guys listen to on the road?

DL:  Well, I'm traveling with Hem right now and I've known them forever, and it's a really interesting mash up of musical tastes.  What did we listen to today?  We listened to Rose Polenzani, my friend from Boston, we listened to Tom Petty, as Tom Petty is the best road music ever, and we listened to Rolling Stones, we talked about the Neko Case album, which I really like. 

BH:  What would be the top five "Girls on Your Turntable" albums?

DL:  I listen to a lot of vinyl at my house, and let's see, definitely Dolly Parton, I actually don't know the name of the album, but I can tell you what she is wearing on the cover, she is wearing an amazing white shirt with little music notes on it, and the music notes are black with little red dots, they are amazing.  So that, that's one.  Francoise Hardy, "Tous Les Garçons Et Les Filles", it's got an orange vinyl which makes me so excited because I have multi-colored vinyl for my record.  Let's see, what else, Julie Doiron, do you know her stuff?  She is amazing.  She is from Canada.  And her album from four years ago, I really like it.  I got a Joni Mitchell "Blue" on heavy rotation.  And...

BH:  Any new artists you are listening to?

DL:  Well, Hannah [Cohen] is wonderful.  Her new album is “Child Bride”. 

BH:  Lastly, what would you say your earliest music memory would be?

DL:  I remember writing "songs" on my dad's handheld tape recorder, because he would do arbitration and he would say his notes into his little recorder, and I remember writing songs.  I wrote a song about Valentine's Day.  But I was six and had a cold, so my voice sounded really weird, and just making stuff up off the cuff.

BH:  Whenever I have a cold I say that it's a perfect time for me to make a Tom Waits cover album.  [laughs] Okay, before we close, do you have any advice for young female musicians or producers?  Any parting words of wisdom?

DL:  Actually, when I first started out I worked a bunch of jobs around the music business and I worked at a festival called Summerstage in Central Park, and there are all of these musicians coming and going, and I would always ask people for advice, because I was young and wondering, and Jonathan Richman said something really interesting, he said, "Always say 'Yes'."  You know what I mean, play as much as you can, play your next door neighbor's friend's birthday party, play any time you can to practice.  And I think that is true for production too. Any time you want to work with someone or work on something, just ask them and just do it.  Because the more you do anything, the better you get at it.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Dawn Landes "Girls on Your Turntable" Playlist


 

No comments:

Post a Comment