Friday, May 3, 2013

Welcome to Girls On Your Turntable


The idea for this blog first grew out of The Kitchen Sisters’ “Hidden World of Girls” series, when they began to ask their listeners “What girl is on your turntable?”  Those of you familiar with their work already know music has always played a large role in their production style.  Like the hidden stories they seek out, a new song or undiscovered artist is likely to provoke an equal sense of excitement.

When I first met Davia and Nikki at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, where I was a student, one of our first conversations was about the mix CD I brought them early on in their class -- a compilation of food-themed songs, probably the first and only mix I have made that included Robert Johnson side-by-side with Rufus Wainwright!  It was clear then that we shared a passion for music, and now, nearly ten years later, this is more evident than ever.  So when they began their ‘Girls Turntable’ project, I knew it was something I wanted to be part of.  I enjoyed listening to the premier playlist that Bonnie Raitt curated, and I loved(!) the archival tapes from Patti Smith’s youth.  But I envisioned even greater things for the project and The Kitchen Sisters agreed to let me take it on. 

The topic of women and music can be a delicate one myself.   A musician myself, I often have to balance and maneuver around such stereotypical and patronizing questions as, “What’s it like being a girl guitarist?” to find a deeper and more meaningful way to discuss female artists and their contributions to music history.  Even the iconic Joni Mitchell is often labeled the "female Bob  Dylan”, as if to suggest we need a male reference point to understand her true genius.  And yet, without falling trap to this reductive nature that dominates most conversations, it remains clear there are many things we can learn from female musicians.  Through their songs, they give us an outlet to discuss our politics, our sexuality, our relationships, and the joys and struggles that come from being a woman.  Through different harmonies and rhythms, we are exposed to new ideas and gain perspective about growing up in other cultures.  In short, the music that women create is a reflection of the events and experiences that shape it. Through our act of listening, we are revealed  both a greater truth, and a glimpse into these women’s lives. 

Over the past few months I have been asking myself, "What is the most appropriate way to chronicle these women?"  As this blog unfolds, I will be featuring female musicians from around the world, profiling artists both new and old that may have fallen under your radar, and bringing you the stories behind songs that shape our history.  And throughout this process, I will continue to ask fellow friends, artists, and you, the reader, “What girls are on your turntable?”

I hope you will enjoy reading what I have to write and will learn something from the songs I select.  I hope to create a forum that welcomes your contributions, and I look forward to the conversations that may arise here at “Girls on Your Turntable.”  But most importantly, I hope you will take the time to simply listen and appreciate what this music has to offer.



No comments:

Post a Comment